- 1. Who funds UNRISD?
- Please see Funding
- 2. Does UNRISD provide funding to others?
- UNRISD funds only projects developed under the current research agenda and approved by the Board.
- 3. Does UNRISD offer scholarships?
- No, UNRISD does not offer scholarships.
- 4. How can I obtain UNRISD publications?
- UNRISD publishes reports, papers, briefs and other formats. Many of these publications are available for free download on this website.
Please order copublished books directly from our publishing partners. When possible, we provide links to our partners’ websites or contact details.
- 5. Whom do I contact to ask permission for reproducing UNRISD materials?
- Short extracts from UNRISD publications may be reproduced unaltered without authorization on condition that the source is indicated.
For rights of reproduction or translation, please contact UNRISD, Palais des Nations, 1211 Geneva 10, Switzerland. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. UNRISD welcomes such requests.
- 6. How do I find out what jobs are available at UNRISD?
- Please check our Working at UNRISD section.
- 7. How is UNRISD structured?
- Please see our Organizational Structure.
- 8. Who makes decisions about research agendas? How does UNRISD select its research topics?
- UNRISD’s research agenda is shaped by the global context and evolves over time to respond to contemporary development issues and challenges.
The choice of research topics is informed by current thinking, debates and gaps in knowledge within international development agencies, academia and civil society organizations. Research agendas and specific topics are developed through consultation and networking with these constituencies, as well as the Board members and other stakeholders. The UNRISD Board reviews and approves the research agenda.
- 9. I’m a researcher, how can I get involved with UNRISD?
- We encourage you to subscribe to our free email alerts service to receive updates on UNRISD research projects. We announce calls for papers, calls for expressions of interest, conferences and vacancies through these alerts. You can also stay in touch with the Institute through our eBulletin and social media channels (Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook), watch video of UNRISD events on YouTube, and subscribe to our offerings wherever you get your podcasts.
- 10. How can I join the mailing list?
- Sign up for our Email Alerts and quarterly eBulletin.
- 11. Can I apply for an internship at UNRISD?
- Please see Working at UNRISD.
- 12. Does UNRISD organize events?
- Yes. UNRISD organizes conferences, workshops and other events. These are posted on our website in advance – sign up for e-mail alerts to be informed when a new event is posted.
- 13. What is social development?
- Social development can be broadly understood as processes of change that lead to improvements in human well-being, social relations and social institutions, that are equitable, sustainable, and compatible with principles of democratic governance and social justice. This definition includes both material achievements, such as good health and education, and access to the goods and services necessary for decent living; and social, cultural and political achievements, such as a sense of security, dignity, the ability to be part of a community through social and cultural recognition, empowerment and political representation.
- 14. How are UNRISD projects implemented?
- A small research staff at UNRISD coordinates research projects in collaboration with scholars throughout the world. This enables the pursuit of multi-country and regional projects, with strong comparative dimensions and an emphasis on South-South and South-North knowledge sharing. Each project typically involves a consultative phase of project development; methodology and project design workshops; thematic and background research; quantitative or qualitative studies, data collection and analysis; and events for finalizing and disseminating outputs and engaging with relevant policy actors.